Monday, January 19, 2009

The Undomestic Goddess

I'm not really a housewife. Never really wanted to be. The whole staying at home cooking, cleaning, taking care of kids, cooking, and cleaning some more... never reall interested me. I need to get out of the house. Work, do things.... learn things.

Don't get me wrong, I love to cook.... when I have someone to cook FOR. I don't like to cook for just one or two of us, I end up with a lot of leftovers, and I'm not good with leftovers. I don't do dishes, either. I would not mind cleaning everything in the entire house.... including the bathroom before I do the dishes. It's bad. Like, seriously, if someone is willing to come to my house and wash dishes for me, I WILL PAY. Mr.? Don't get me started. "I didn't dirty them, so why should I wash them?" How about you eat the food I fixed in that pot? Sorry. Touchy subject. You know, actually, household chores in this house are such a battle, it's gotten to the point where we do our own laundry. I do mine. He does his. But that's a blog for another day.

So, I actually do love to cook. I'm really good at baking sweets, those are my favorites. Cookies, pies, cakes, brownies, pumpkin rolls. Everyone loves my pumkin rolls for the holidays. I can follow directions in any cookbook really well! As far as dinners and such, there's not much I can do in that area. Sloppy Joes, Tacos, Cheese Dip, burgers, grilled cheese, anything in a box like Hamburger Helper or Mac and Cheese, or the dinner in a box. I'm good at those, too. That's about it. I can't even do meatloaf, which I hear is supposed to be really easy.

So, today, for lunch, I made homemade macaroni and cheese. It was not my first attempt, and it was sort of a success. If by success you mean edible and on a taste factor of 1 to 5 it was a 2.. MAYBE 2.5. The first attempt was a total failure. I followed the recipe... but ... the cheese and the milk didn't really blend together.. and it tasted really funny. Don't ask how you mess up mac and cheese, but I did it. This time, it worked out ok. Perhaps it was just the recipe, but it wasn't the best I've had by a long shot. After cooking the noodles until they were al dente, in another pot I melted the butter, and then whisked in the flour. At this point I was somewhat confused because it had the consistency of cookie dough.

But, of course, I continued to follow the directions on the recipe, feeling exactly how I imagined Samantha Sweeting felt on her first day as a housekeeper in "The Undomestic Goddess" by Sophie Kinsella.


The Undomestic Goddess Pictures, Images and Photos

Which, by the way, is a really funny book if you haven't read it. For both the real life undomestic goddesses, or the really domestic goddesses. Imagine a big-time lawyer, overworked and overstressed due to certain circumstances becomes a housemaid. It's a good, funny, summer read. I know it's winter, but, in some parts of the world it feels like summer, so that's good enough for me. Perhaps, like Samantha, I will one day become a domestic goddess. Or perhaps not.

No comments: